Skirting boards, also known as baseboards, are a common feature in many homes and buildings. They serve both a practical and aesthetic purpose, protecting the lower part of walls from damage and adding a finishing touch to the overall interior design.
Skirting boards are horizontal panels that cover the joint between the walls and the floor. They are typically made of wood, PVC, or other durable materials.
Over time, skirting boards can accumulate dust, dirt, pet hair, and even stains. Neglecting their cleaning can lead to a buildup of grime and affect the overall cleanliness and appearance of your living space.
While many people focus on cleaning the floors, walls, and furniture, skirting boards often go unnoticed. However, keeping your skirting boards clean is essential for maintaining a clean and hygienic living space.
In this article, we will explore the best ways to keep your skirting boards clean. The reasons why you should prioritize skirting board cleaning and provide you with some helpful guides to make the process easier and more effective.
The Importance of Clean Skirting Boards
Clean skirting boards contribute to a clean and well-maintained home. Here are a few reasons why you should keep your skirting boards clean:
- Enhanced Hygiene: Skirting boards can attract dust, allergens, and microorganisms, which can pose health risks, especially for individuals with respiratory conditions or allergies. Regular cleaning helps eliminate these contaminants, promoting a healthier indoor environment.
- Improved Aesthetics: Dirty skirting boards can be an eyesore and detract from the overall appearance of your home. Clean skirting boards contribute to a neat and well-presented interior.
- Protection of Walls: Skirting boards act as a protective barrier for walls, preventing accidental damage from furniture, vacuum cleaners, or other objects. Regular cleaning helps maintain their integrity and prolong their lifespan.
Benefits of Regular Skirting Board Cleaning
Regular cleaning of skirting boards offers several benefits:
- Ease of Maintenance: By incorporating skirting board cleaning into your routine, you prevent the accumulation of dirt and grime, making the cleaning process quicker and easier each time.
- Extended Lifespan: Proper maintenance and regular cleaning can help extend the lifespan of your skirting boards, saving you money on repairs or replacements in the long run.
- Reduced Allergens: Dust and allergens tend to collect on skirting boards. Removing these particles through regular cleaning helps create a healthier environment, particularly for individuals prone to allergies or asthma.
Best Ways to Keep Your Skirting Boards Clean
The boards accumulate dust over time and you need to wipe them off frequently. Dive in, and learn about the best ways to keep your skirting boards clean.
1. Vacuuming and Dusting
A vacuum cleaner is among the best items to keep handy when cleaning skirting boards. Some of them have sophisticated designs that are difficult to clean because your hands can’t reach some angles of the boards to wipe off the dust.
However, a vacuum cleaner gets rid of all the dust no matter the amount, and the pressure it uses can clean even the difficult-to-reach spots on the skirting boards.
Afterward, you can as well use a duster to clear off any remaining dust, and a cotton bud can help too as it reaches the small intricacies.
2. Use Soap with Warm Water
It is a traditional way of cleaning skirting boards, but still useful today. The process gives your boards a great shine and finishes with a little scrub.
All you have to do is to get some warm water and clean clothes. It is even better if you use a fabric softener because of its great cleaning properties and nice smell.
Dip the clean cloth into the warm water, ring it, and start cleaning your skirting boards. You ring the cloth because it has to be damp, not wet, for the best results.
3. Buy a Baseboard Mop
Investing in a baseboard mop is also a great decision to ease your skirting board cleaning process. It is a special cleaning tool made specifically for the job and reaches even the most difficult angles.
Good enough, you don’t have to kneel as many people hate it, but you can handle the cleaning process while standing using a baseboard mop.
It saves you from using multiple cleaning elements as it handles the job without any assistance.
Best of all, you can easily find baseboard mops in both online and offline stores. Your task is to look for the best brand sold at a price affordable for you.
4. Use Sprays and Bleach
If your skirting boards have developed some tough stains, you may have to use sprays and bleach to get rid of them.
Many people hate these chemicals because of their strong odor and damaging effect on the boards and paint.
However, there’s a time when they are the best option because warm soapy water can’t handle tough stains.
You can use them mildly or apply them to only the stained area such that other parts of the board aren’t affected.
How do I remove scuff marks fromskirting boards?
To remove scuff marks from skirting boards, you can try the following method:
- Start by dampening a clean cloth or sponge with warm water.
- Gently rub the scuff marks using the damp cloth or sponge. Apply light pressure and work in a circular motion.
- If the scuff marks persist, add a small amount of mild detergent or all-purpose cleaner to the cloth or sponge.
- Continue rubbing the scuff marks with the soapy cloth, again using gentle pressure.
- Rinse the cloth or sponge with clean water and wipe away any soap residue from the skirting boards.
- Dry the skirting boards thoroughly with a soft cloth.
Preventive Measures for Maintaining Clean Skirting Boards
To keep your skirting boards clean for longer periods, consider the following preventive measures:
Regular Dusting and Vacuuming
Incorporate dusting the skirting boards into your regular cleaning routine. Use a microfiber cloth or duster to remove dust, and consider vacuuming with a brush attachment to reach crevices.
Using Protective Coatings
Applying a protective coating, such as a clear sealant or wax, can make cleaning easier by creating a barrier against dirt and stains. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for application.
Avoiding Excessive Moisture
Excessive moisture can damage skirting boards, particularly if they are made of wood. Avoid using excessive amounts of water or wet cleaning methods. Instead, opt for damp cleaning techniques and dry the surface thoroughly afterward.
How often should I clean my skirting boards?
It is recommended to clean your skirting boards at least once a month to prevent the buildup of dust and grime. However, you may need to clean them more frequently in high-traffic areas or if you have pets.
Can I use bleach to clean my skirting boards?
Using bleach is not recommended for cleaning skirting boards, especially if they are painted or made of sensitive materials. Bleach can cause discoloration or damage the surface. Stick to mild detergents or all-purpose cleaners.
Should I remove the furniture before cleaning the skirting boards?
If possible, it is best to move furniture away from the walls to ensure thorough cleaning. However, if moving heavy furniture is not practical, use an extendable duster or a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment to reach underneath.
Can I paint my skirting boards instead of cleaning them?
While painting your skirting boards can be an alternative, it is essential to note that regular cleaning is still necessary to maintain their cleanliness and hygiene. Painting can provide a fresh look and cover up minor stains or marks, but it won’t eliminate the need for cleaning altogether.
Keeping your skirting boards clean is an important aspect of maintaining a clean and hygienic living space.
By regularly cleaning and caring for your skirting boards, you can enhance the overall aesthetics of your home, protect the walls, and promote a healthier environment.
Follow the step-by-step guide provided in this article, and consider implementing preventive measures to ensure that your skirting boards stay clean for longer periods. Remember, a clean home starts with attention to even the smallest details!